Tuesday, February 22, 2011

chapter 10

We use assessment to evaluate the performance of ours students. It's a process of assessing a student's skills by asking the student to perform tasks that require those skills. A source (Perlman, 2002) defines performance assessment as having these elements: "Students must construct a response or a product rather then simply select from a set of predefined alternatives or answers. Assessment then consists of direct observation or assessment of student behavior on tasks or on the product that they produced, and, further, the tasks or products are designed to resemble activites commonly required for functioning in the world outside of school." I personally am against computer based tests, especially with high school students. If I wanted to generate feedback to improve the learners performance, I would do the question and answer method. Since I have been in college, my professors have taken technology away from. This is probably why I am so against computer applications, I am sure I will come around once I begin teaching.

E-portfolios are a collection of digitized artifacts that may include video clips, graphics, sound, writing samples, artwork, and multimedia presentations. They can represent the accomplishments of an individual or group of leaners (Lorenzo and Ittelson, 2005). They are meant to be more than simply a collection of student work stored in an electronic format. Thater, they are intended to purposefully exhibit students' efforts, progress and achievements (Paulson, Paulson, and Meyer, 1991). Computer-based test are not a reliable teaching source or testing source. As it says in our book, "Unlike many of the other technology applications we address in this book, a student's experience of a computer-based test or quiz is not terribly engaging or motivating. Other than selecting a response to the posed item, students are passive recipients of what is being shown on the computer screen." (pg. 236).

Concluding, while certain assessments are fantastic, computerized or not, but there are many out there that are not very good. Computerized testing, especially in my area, math, I believe is a terrible thing. It does not engage your students thoughts or creativity, only hand written fill in the blank questions (or not multiple choice) can you achieve such desires. The e-portfolio is definitely a great idea! I am thinking of how I can incorporate it into my classroom, but I am not planning to do many computer based activities. I can't wait to see what the futures brings.



Jonassen, DJ, Howland, JH, Marra, RM, & Crismond, DC (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson.
Inline Citation -- (Perlman, 2002)


Jonassen, DJ, Howland, JH, Marra, RM, & Crismond, DC (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson.
Inline Citation -- (Lorenzo and Ittlson, 2005)

Jonassen, DJ, Howland, JH, Marra, RM, & Crismond, DC (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson.
Inline Citation -- (Paulson, Paulson, and Meyer, 1991)

4 comments:

  1. I agree that assessment tools are necessary to show the performance of both the student as well as the teacher. If students are not understanding something then assessments show the teacher that a particular student might need tutoring one on one or if the whole class is not getting it then they may need to try another way of teaching. I also agree that standardized tests should not be the only form of assessments used by teachers. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and one particular assessment tool may not be an accurate show of a student's performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an idea for incorporating e portfolio's for a math class. Have students who understand the curriculum make a visual presentation, present it to the class, and then post it online on their e portfolio for students to access when they are having issues with homework or just need to revisit the material. For the students who don't understand have them show their work on the tests but also encourage them to post their tests online, so they will have a way of accessing that information if they ever lose the test. I'm sure technology will advance to the point where math tests can be done online just as we do written math tests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you, I cannot wait to see what new things we are going to have do when we are in a classroom. I would like to use the e-portfolio but i want to work with little ones. So i need to find out how i can use it with them. As for the assessment by a computer, i would think i would use it as a center with a short fun quiz. just to engage them on the lesson i want them to learn.

    PS-GREAT POST :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said something similar concerning computerized tests. They do not engage students at all, especially in math (which I will be teaching as well). It's good that we are learning more about e-portfolios and making one; I am curious to see if we can incorporate it for math.

    ReplyDelete