Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chapter 10

Technology based rubrics are good in some cases, I found that I do not like them from the reading and from what I've used before. To create your own technology based rubrics can be time consuming, not only must it have strict guidelines to follow it also has to be relavent to the intended learning purposes. It puts a strict guideline on students to follow (in certain cases this is a great thing!) and it puts a strict grading guide for the teacher. The only time i could see myself using a technology based rubric in my class is when I do a project with the students, other than that I am not sure how I will incorporate a rubric.

I think that the Clicker Assessment tool is a great tool for any classroom, even math! I wouldn't use it on a consistent basis but it is definitely a new and refreshing way of learning for the students and teaching for the teachers. I cannot think about a subject that you couldn't use this technology in. This helps the students get involved in the class even if its not verbally. I can also trully see who is struggling with what particular sections or problems and who is excelling.

From the expiriences that I have with using inspiration, i like it but I dont know if I like it better than a traditional power point or just a regular ol' chalk board. But inspiration is definitly used effectively on a promethean board, I have used inspirations on a promethean board numerous times and I love using it. That down fall to a promethean board is that it is very small compared to a chalk board or even a dry erase board. With the promethean board it's a great tool to use but it has it flaws, the technology and uses that it has are wonderful but it's size plays a very big roll.

4 comments:

  1. I agree I dislike rubrics and they are time consuming for the teacher and the students as well but they seems to be what every school wants these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Derek and Angela,

    I like rubrics. I think it is good for both teachers and students. As a student, you know what the teacher expects from your work. As a teacher, you grade student's work upon the products not from the one you like. :)

    I agree it is time consuming to create a rubric. However, when creating one, you can use for a long period of time. :)

    Thanks y'all for working so hard.

    CK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the fact that rubrics set the guidelines for students and teachers. I think they are very beneficial. As for the clicker tools, I agree that they shouldn't be used all the time, but they are great for letting the teacher know what the students are struggling with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think rubrics are really helpful, but only when used with specific guidelines. Also, you need to make sure students don't just follow the specific objectives, but also use some critical thinking in whatever it is they are doing.

    For Inspiration, I am with you when it comes to just a normal chalkboard! I think that it is atributed to use being math majors. After all, the best way to show a math concept is through guided examples.

    ReplyDelete